Surat, a jewel of Gujarat, has achieved a phenomenal growth rate of 11.5% over a sustained period of last 5 years. National Capital of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) has declared Surat as the most prosperous Indian City with the highest per capita household income. Rockefeller Foundation Chosen Surat in the list of ‘100 Resilient Cities’. Surat was ranked fourth in the list of 20 cities, which will be developed as ‘Smart City’ under the Smart City Mission of the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India.
The world is taking note of Surat’s sparkling growth story as the city has all the ingredients to grow at a pace much higher than rest of the world. Industrial development in Surat district could be attributed to the presence of large number of diamond processing, textiles and chemical & petrochemical industries. Surat, also known as the synthetic capital of India, hosts-
- Total Number of Looms: 7,20,000
- 485 Process Houses
- 75,000 Textile Shops
- Total Number of Embroidery Machines: 1,50,000
- Total Yarn Production / Year: 10,50,000 MT
- Total Yarn Sales/year: 115 Bill Rs.
- Total Fabric Production/year: 13,000 Mill MTs
- Total Sale Value of Fabric/ Year: 500 Bill Rs.
- Industry employs over 1.5 Mill people
- Number of Entrepreneurs: 1,50,000
- % Annual Growth Rate: 5-7 %
- Synthetic Textile Production at Surat (% of India): 60%
- Largest Manufacturer of the Man Made Fabrics